Thursday, January 14, 2010

Make-Up Blogpost: Tuesday, January 12 Meeting

Chapter 1
Q: What does it mean to do something that's "no real kindness, after all" (Stowe 8)?
A: An action is either good intentioned or not. When an action may seem like it's a good for others, but it has a self-pleasing purpose, it's no real kindness after all.

Q: What are your thoughts on speculating? Investing? Gambling? Is there a difference in the terms?
A: Money or possessions is a gift from God that people are supposed to steward well. I don't think gambling is right...investing too. However, investing smartly, even though a small gamble, can be used to multiply money for use to help others and to glorify God.

Q: What are we supposed to believe about the people of Kentucky?
A: Hmm...that they're good-hearted slave owners?

Chapter 2

Q: Do you ever have thoughts of inferiority? When? Why?
A: Yes, I used to have a lot before, but as I've become more confident over the past several years, the thoughts are decreasing. I guess I felt inferior to the populars. Popularity ='s power. A lot of people feel inferior to power. It's strong, and mere humanity is weak.

Q: What is the other "use that a man can be put to that is WORSE!" (Stowe 16)?
A: Being a slave..

Chapter 3
Q: What would you have advised George in his current situation?
A: Run for your freedom. Just Run.

Q: Where else have you heard the cry, "I'll be free, or I'll die!" (Stowe 21)?
A: Nathaniel Hawthorne!

Chapter 4

Q: What do you think of Aunt Chloe's treatment of Mose and Pete with Mas'r George at the table?
A: Predictable.

Q: Are you always "...ready for anything that makes him of importance" (Stowe 31)?
A: Never, honestly. Once it comes though and you just have to do it, I say "bring it on".

Q: What are your thoughts about the dialogue in this chapter?
A: Very choppy. It's like a mainland pigeon!

Q: How should one pray? Is there a lesson to be learned from Uncle Tom?
A: One should pray like they really mean it. And yes, there is a lesson: to pray with all your heart...like you really mean it.

Q: Are you ever obliged by your circumstances? Or is that just an excuse?
A: I am always obliged by my circumstances. And I use it as excuses because I am a very lazy person. "Excuses are the crutch of the uncommitted."

Chapter 5

Q: Was Mrs. Shelby "...a fool to think I could make anything good out of such a deadly evil" (Stowe 38)?
A: Yes, she is. But at least her conscience is loud enough to constantly be nagged that slavery is a deadly evil. If she wasn't bothered by it, then she really wouldn't be a Christian.

Q: Is it ever acceptable to ease drop on other's conversations?
A: I do it all the time. It's the only way that I find out information (like my favorite second cousin who lives on the mainland is giving birth in a week...). However, I don't think it's acceptable to ever eavesdrop because privacy is a courtesy privelage.

Q: What would you have done if you were Uncle Tom upon hearing the news?
A: If I were Uncle Tom, I would be as "collected" as he was. If I was myself, I'd go into hysterics and throw a tantrum.

Chapter 6

Q: What does your honor consist of?
A: Doing my best to do what is right.

Q: What is the "decorum of a gentleman" nowadays (Stowe 46)?
A: To "ack" all cool "ly dat". It's kind of like a trend to have to put on a show to show how cool you are. It's quite entertaining sometimes. When couples come into Menchie's, there is always that moke guy who, when offered a sample cup, will say no, just for the sake of putting on a non-chalant manner.

Q: What do you think of joking? Of making fun of others?
A: I think it's horrible to make fun of others to a hurtful degree. I also look down on teasing people in general, but I do it all the time. And I mean all the time. Raychel and I go at it from the time we get to school to the last period of the day and beyond. All in the spirit of "fun"? Maybe. But sometimes I wonder if it's a way of ending our friendship instead of building it up to be a long-lasting one.

Q: Why would it be important to stand on the "Missis' side" and to know "which side the bread is buttered" (Stowe 49)?
A: She's the kind-hearted out of the pair. If you're in good standing with her, she'll most likely do whatever she can to save you.

Q: What are your thoughts on "bobservation" (Stowe 54)?
A: It's the cutest word ever (Haha). I think observation is a wonderful thing to do. Not being ignorant is smart. To be up to date shows good judgment, I believe.

Chapter 7

Q: Can fraternal love be as strong as maternal love? Why or why not?
A: Maternal love has an extra bond (which is sex). So, I'm not sure on this one. i would like to say that fraternal love can be as strong, but oftens times, it's not.

Q: Do you really believe that your mind may be stronger than your body? "Sublime is the dominion of the mind over the body, that, for a time, can make flesh and never impregnable, and string the sinews like steel, so that the weak become so mighty" (Stowe 56)
A: Yes, I do. The mind has to make decisions all the time. It is challenged constantly. Your body is too...and that's 100% of your body. The average human being only uses 4% of his or her brain.

Q: Does the thought of forever strike fear in your heart? Why or why not?
A: All the time. It gives me a sick feeling sometimes. When people say "this is the last time we're all going to be together...forever", it drives me crazy. It makes me sad. If I had to part with loved ones like many of the characters in this book do, I think the grief would ultimately kill me.

Q: Uncle Tom tells Aunty Chloe to pray for the "soul drivers" (Stowe 61). What is her response?
A: She does not want to pray for them. Neither would I. It's understandable. Why should we have to pray for a horrible people? Uncle Tom says that we should pray for them and be thankful that our souls aren't as horrible as the soul drivers'.

Q: Do you agree with Uncle Tom when he says, "...natur's strong...but the Lord's grace is stronger" (Stowe 61)?
A: Yes, I do because anything of the Lord is stronger than any mortal thing. Especially if "nature" is in a way, destiny: things are just the way things are. God has control over all of that.

Q: Is it good to be "strictly uncommittal" like Andy (Stowe 65)?
A: No, although I am oftn noncommittal most of the time--to avoid disappointment.

Q: Describe Eliza's "desperate leap" (Stowe 67).
A: It's admirable. Commendable. Priceless.

Q: Can you admire the good even in people that you are not naturally drawn to (Stowe 68)?
A: When people I genuinely despise (for good reasons) does something admirable, I have the hardest time actually admiring them. It is a very humbling situation for me. I do end up appreciating their efforts to do something for the good of the world

Chapter 8
Q: What's Tom's compliment on page 74? What kind of compliment is it?
A: That he is cunning. It is an indirect insult it seems like.

Q: Do you agree that "...quarrelling...won't answer no kind of purpose" (Stowe 75)?
A: It won't. Having hard but necessary discussions (close to arguments but not really) can ultimately resolve unsettled issues.

Q: What is Haley's philosophy on his soul and wickedness?
A: I think he possibly thinks that because he's not killing any one, he's still in good standing.

Q: Do you have a piety vein that runs stronger in specific situations or with certain people (Stowe 81)?
A: Yes, I think it's nature.

Q: If you can't "reason" guilt away, what does that mean (Stowe 81)?
A: It's a sin!

Q: What are your thoughts on "principles" (Stowe 86)?
A: Everyone should have good moral principles in order to be most spiritually, mentally, and emotionally content.

Stowe, Harriet B. Uncle Tom's Cabin. New York: Bantam Books, 2003. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment