Thursday, February 25, 2010

Count of Monte Cristo: Additional Study Guide Questions for Extra Credit

Chapter 6


Q: Villefort loves his fiance, but not passionately. What advice would you give to him?


A: I think that he must love her for real because most guys need the passion and the feeling. Feelings only go so far though. To love the person despite that is something special. I would tell him to just keep on going with it. Maybe the passion can be learned.




Chapter 13


Q: Why is it that now Dantes is not satisfied with freedom alone and desires riches (Dumas 109)?


A: Along with his freedom, he knew that he was going to get an exponential amount of riches. His freedom was only half of the prize packet. As humans, we are dearly selfish and desire more. If we can get more, why settle for less?




Chapter 14


Q: Describe the love between the two men.


A: It's the most sweetest kind of love I have ever heard of. It is the love that a father has for his son and the love that the son has for his father. It's one of those strong unbreakable bonds that will last a lifetime. It is unconditional and selfless. I almost wanted to cry when Faria admitted that he loved Dantes as if he were his own son. It is truly amazing how God aligns particularly unfortunate events in order receive a priceless friendship.




Chapter 19


Q: Why was it a "...delicious yet terrible..." nights (Dumas 117)?


A: He has his treasure. He finally had it. But what good is the treasure if you can't do anything with it. He was probably satisfied, but the anxiety of finally being able to use the treasure must have killed him a little.




Chapter 27


Q: Would you like a friendship where you are told "...though I appreciate your friendship, I fear my reputation would suffer if they knew we were on such friendly footing" (Dumas 163)?


A: Honestly, I would want to be the person who tells their friend that my reputation was on the line rather than be the person who is told that. Of course, it is definitely a pride thing. In any relationship, I would like to have the upper hand just so I don't feel like I have to owe anything to anyone.




Dumas, Alexandre. Count of Monte Cristo. New York: New American Library, 2005. Print.




No comments:

Post a Comment